
In August 1942, Rev. Hobart Linkous held a revival under a tent located on Hixson Pike. After several meetings, Bro. Linkous called upon Rev. J. Harold Smith to come and preach in the meetings. Revival broke out and out of this revival came the desire for a Baptist Church. Bro. Linkous, Walter Lee Brown, and Gordon Keef started looking for land on which to build a church building. They found an acre on Lupton Drive, and rented a tent and the first service was held on Sunday, September 13, 1942. At this meeting with 27 members the church was organized and was named the Lupton City Baptist Tabernacle. After many hours of hard labor, the first building was dedicated on April 14, 1943. Within three years, the name was changed to Lupton City Baptist Church.
Since the start of the church, we have celebrated many years of serving the Lord at Lupton Drive Baptist Church and the church has grown from just a tent. At Lupton Drive we love each other and try our best to serve each other. We support each other in prayers, comforting each other, and rejoicing with each other. And ultimate we try to serve and glorify God in everything we do.
In 1961, Lupton Drive Baptist Church sent out its first missionary, Miss Aileen Cronan, who surrendered her life to full‑time service and later served on the mission field in Costa Rica and Nicaragua. Her calling marked the beginning of a long and faithful tradition of missionary support within our church. For decades, Lupton Drive has maintained a strong commitment to world missions, encouraging those whom God calls and standing behind them through prayer, giving, and ongoing support. This missionary spirit has been a defining part of our church’s history and continues to shape our ministry today.
